Saturday 21 July 2012

The 31 Day Drawing Challenge.

You know how, at the beginning of something like summer holidays, time seems to stretch out before you, endless hours just waiting to be filled? And then a curious thing happens, doesn't it. Time becomes a slippery ghost that seems to melt away into the day, without you even realising it. And suddenly the weeks are slipping away and you cannot grasp them. 

One of the four seasons.

I do try to spend this time doing things that the normal car-bound, school days don't allow, things like seeing friends who are further afield, or catching up on my personal to-do list that always, inevitably, ends up at the bottom of the pile.


Book cover for a favourite book.
One such thing on my list was, by coincidence, nicely facilitated by something my brother Andrew posted about on Facebook: a 31 Day Drawing Challenge, for the month of July. A list of titles/topics, one for every day of the month. Regular readers here will have noticed that I have recently been drawing, something which I have not done in any serious way for years and years, other than with the children. The reason for my renewed interest in this is something for a whole other post, which will follow in a couple of weeks, but suffice to say, the opportunity to commit myself to doing a drawing a day was nicely timed! I was feeling very rusty! And thanks to Donal Fallon of  Galway Pub Scrawl, I am not only enjoying drawing again, but day by day my appreciation of what it means to draw and illustrate, is changing and growing. 

A favourite fairytale.

I joined quite late into the challenge, and I have not managed to do every day since then, but I am really quite pleased to have managed what I have so far. As you can see, some days I had more time than others!
Do click the link above to see the rest of the work by everyone who is taking part. The variety of styles alone is amazing.

Favourite mythical creature.

So, it's the weekend now, and myself and the children are off for a long weekend, heading south the the tip of this island of ours, south to the lighthouse, the wilder, warmer sea. I may be naive to think that I'll have lots of drawing time (Three or four mothers, and at least twelve children? Hmm) but that is what I am aiming for. Now that my imagined project suddenly seems so much more possible, I am excited to get started!

What I wanted to be when I grew up.
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. I hope this warm weather continues. I hope whatever you get up to, you too find the time to tick something off your personal to-do list. 

Let's just give that to ourselves this weekend!


9 comments:

Martin said...

An inspirational post, Ciara.

The process of drawing can take us on a journey to unexpected places. It's a shame so many people deny themselves that journey, because they feel ill equipped for it.

Cait O'Connor said...

What a wonderful idea, I just wish I could draw.

Kerry O'Gorman said...

I love when life inspires! Your drawings seem to reflect the beauty and freedom that summer allows...good luck and most of all have fun!

marta said...

ciara beautiful drawings!!! i can´t wait to hear more about your weekend! it sounds so lovely
x m

Anonymous said...

what a fabulous idea! I've been doing a photo a day for july on fb as well, but this drawing idea feels much more inspiring... I find creativity flows more lightheartedly if it's a little daily habit. This space is lovely :-)

Elaine Prunty said...

i'd be ticking one of my boxes just by leaving a comment saying i'm still looking, and loving and wishing you all the best. i especially love first drawing
and your doing a fantasitic job on that trapez .


ps that sign in comment thing is very difficult, this is my fourth attempt

yew tree nights said...

I'm so glad to hear that you are doing this. It's too easy to write things like this off... even though, on the whole, life is so much better when people just embrace these sorts of projects. Who knows where they could lead?
I wish you the best with all of your "imagined projects", whatever they may be.

Unknown said...

Lovely! I am glad to hear that you are finding time to re-connect with something that you enjoy! :)

Elizabeth Carrington said...

Its three weeks since you posted, I wonder how it as gone. I do hope it has brought a lot of inspiration, and most importantly, flow. To practice is such a key to being creative.
Your drawings are remarkably like my granny's, as strange as that sounds, she was an artist, you have a lovely touch.
xx