Thursday 22 July 2010

The Little Ghosts Of Summers Past.

This weekend we will be returning to an old haunt of ours. A very special place that we hold dear in our hearts. A place we knew so well as children, and have magical memories of.

Lough Key Forest Park 1976.

A place we returned to year after year, for as long as we could remember, up until we were briefly too cool to go and the spell was broken for a while.

Lough Key Forest Park, 1980.

A place that lent itself to the idyll that is a child's imagination, that made books like 'Swallow's and Amazon's' and The Famous Five come to life.

Lough Key Forest Park 1980.

We were Kings of the Castle, Lord's of the Lake. We tramped through the mud, the mizzling rain, we ran the gamut of possibilities that this kind of freedom allows.

Lough Key Forest Park 1976.

And though these holiday's ingrained in me a love of eating outdoors, a dread of Monopoly and Scrabble, and a love/dread of camping in general, this lake and land of memories never fails to cast it's spell.

Lough Key Forest Park 1980.

And so this weekend we will return once again, with all the additions to our ever growing family, in the hopes that it becomes, for the next generation, the Place Of Great Importance that it was for us.

17 comments:

Susan said...

What wonderful memories, Ciara. Susan

Martin said...

Connections and stories that give us sense of who we are/were. Priceless gifts to be passed on to our children.

Mise said...

Lucky you to have those old photos. And indeed a Place of Great Importance - I admire that phrase; it evokes so much of childhood and the ability to live fully in the present. Have a lovely time!

MissKris said...

I recently took my 31-year-old son and littlest grandson to my hometown. It was achingly bittersweet, the memories stirred up. The last time I'd been there was for a private memorial service for my dad, with just my younger brother, myself, and our spouses. This time around...too many ghosts. But I'm glad we went. I won't go again.

Emma said...

What wonderful memories. Lough Key, where the fire was lit and many elements of my soul were forged, and my family an intricate part. Boohoo, I wish we were going too!
P.S. There must be at least a year between photos two and three, because I have a fringe in one and not in the other!

Jayne said...

Oh the seventies, the clothes, the patterns. My place of Great Importance is no longer - it was a holiday camp we went to every year and I searched for it the other day and it is now a housing estate! So do enjoy your place, won't you? Enjoy it for me!

Erin said...

Wow. I ADORE all your old photos here. I'm sure your children will love the place too. It looks wonderful. :)

Bending Birches said...

beautiful and haunting...love your site!

Mimi said...

A Place of Great Importance it was indeed!
Because we lived fairly close, we only ever went there on day trips, but we loved it, most of all loved the freedom!

Have a wonderful weekend, though I know you will. Thanks for bringing back those good memories!

Mom said...

Sweet pictures and beautiful memories.

Liz of Wool Boutique said...

I love family holiday photos. We spent every summer hoiday in a caravan. As kids it doesn't matter where you are, everything is an adventure.

Have fun! x

Acornmoon said...

Have a happy time and don't forget the chocolate cake and lashings of ginger beer!

Unknown said...

Imagine my complete surprise when you mention the one place in Ireland I've actually visited and spent a whole memorable, wonderful day in.

http://web.me.com/nerahla/U.K._Trip_2008/Ireland.html

My husband had work in Carrick-on-Shannon and I tagged along. I had a whole day to myself while he was busy and was guided by a local taxi driver, who took me to Lough Key Forest Park and we spent a magical, wonderful day there. I'll never forget it, the rest of my life.

I hope you have a beautiful splendid time there, and how lucky you are to be able to go whenever you like to such an amazing place. :)

affectioknit said...

I love old photos like that!

Unknown said...

"A place that lent itself to the idyll that is a child's imagination, that made books like 'Swallow's and Amazon's' and The Famous Five come to life."

This made me smile, remembering my own childhood vacations at the beach, exploring and clambering over rocks, imagining ourselves to be explorers and adventurers like The Famous Five.
It's great that you are continuing the tradition with the younger members of your family. :) Have a great time.

Patty said...

the child in the middle of the loch key forest park 1980 picture could have been me at that age, kind of spooky

Fine Little Day said...

Oh memories. Really nice photos :)